My brothers and parents go to the annual AMAL camp almost every year in Ohio. Every year at this gathering the younger adults come up with a t-shirt design.
Since I can never seem to make it, they always send me the t-shirts. I had forgotten all about these t-shirts until today when I was cleaning out a closet. I had to share this one as it is the funniest thing I’ve ever seen. It is from the 2004 AMAL camp.
The front has a outline of Libya and says “You Know You’re Libya If…”
and the back has “Top 20 Reasons”
20. Your social existence consists of gurma over shahee
19. You feel 9 months pregnant–you know its bazeen
18. You constantly reply “te bahyyyy….digeega”
17. A wedding isn’t complete without playing foonsha and zamzamat
16. Your family is going through depression when they’re low on tin and hareesa
15. Your ears perk when you hear the words tamam, meeya meeya, and kharaf
14. You are somehow related to or know every other Libyan
13. You do something wrong, the first thing that comes to your mind is
12. You’re on vacation, you cook macaroona jarya in your hotel room
11. Couscous and macaroona are common meals in your home
10. You’ve had more than your share of inharak aswid
9. You do something wrong, your parents threaten that they’ll send you back to libya
8. You’re always found with your trusty darbooka (or turn everything
7. You know what a felga is
6. You’re talking to Libya and the whole street heard your conversation…aloooo Libya
5. Everything you do is classified as 3abe
4. You say ga3miz for sit
3. You’re traumatized every time you see a 3asaa, shibshib, or tubu
2. Your mother can throw a shibshib farther than troy aikman can throw a football
1. You’re wearing this shirt….saga3 3alaik!
“It’s a Libyan thing, you wouldn’t understand!”
Visit A Crafty Arab for more tutorial on the Arab world.