We are so honored to host a follow up guest post for our Ramadan crafts 30-day challenge from Brookolie Jewelry.
Sister Brooke has contributed two kid creative date recipes with us. She is sharing these scrumptious Sweet Date Balls after she showed us how to make Savory Date Bars yesterday.
Kid-Creative Date Ball Recipe
This not-your-average date ball recipe is by Brooke Benoit, editor of Fitra Journal, author of How to Survive Homeschooling and Big Reconnecting Selflove Journal and ethical silversmith at Brookolie Jewelry.
As an unschooling mom of seven children ages 6 – 22 years old, I’ve made a lot of date balls over the years, inside and outside of Ramadan. We’ve made sophisticated truffle-styles and nut-packed energy-styles. My current batch of young children likes to make some very creative date balls, often using whatever is on hand.
- Date Paste
- Big bowl
- Big plate
- Knife or other chopping instrument (we like to smash in a bag with a rolling pin)
Don’t worry too much about measuring. It’s mostly eyeballing and adding more of whatever until you have a manageable mix.
Sweet(er) Date Balls
For the kids, date balls with even more sweetness added is hardly believable not too much for them! They are going to only eat one or three so…
Sweet Filling Ideas:
- Chocolate Chips (bittersweet is a good idea)
- Cinnamon Chips
- Slightly smashed-up Sweeties or M&Ms
- Shredded coconut
- Candied or other dried fruits, chopped
- Jelly candies are very, very exciting when found in the middle of a date ball
Today we are making sweet date balls.
- First, we will chop or smash up any ingredients that will be mixed into the date paste. We grated some orange rind and added chopped bitter chocolate.
- Next, we smash it all together by hand.
- Dividing the paste. The chocolate was a bit sticker, so my daughter pulled little ball-sized portions.
- Roll the balls in the topping. Here we rolled the chocolate orange date balls went into a super cheerful sprinkle mix.
And they turned out exciting (the plate below includes some date balls from yesterday’s recipe too)!