We are so honored to host a guest post for our Ramadan crafts 30-day challenge from Amsmoon.
The entire team made these Eid stunning pendant necklaces a few weeks ago at our Instagram Live.
Pendant Necklaces with Amsmoon Team
Amsmoon is a hard place to describe. It’s mainly a makers cooperative in Morocco, but serves many young people in various creative, educational and supportive capacities. One of the funnest crafts our cooperative enjoys doing is making pendant necklaces.
These are a great project for teenagers, but can be made with any children about four years old and up, they will just need plenty of help with all the details.
At Amsmoon we return to making pendant necklaces again and again because they are so versatile. Just as we like to sell themed ones in local surf shops, you can make some that are Ramdanish or as sentimental gifts for family members or besties.
These are great for making matchy best friend necklaces! One of our members once made a taco one for their taco-loving friend. We make a lot for ourselves too.
- Blank pendant trays with glass cabochons
- Images either printed out, decorative paper, copied photos, your own designs, etc.
- Mod Podge
- Very strong glue
- Necklace – often the pendants are sold with a vegan necklace cords, but you can make your necklace portion with chain, ribbon or whatever you like
- Take your cabochon glass and slide it around on your designs until you find something you love. Off-centered often looks nice in floral or other designs, leaving some background detail too.
- Trim your picture a little bigger than the cabochon, so you don’t over cut.
- Place a M&M-sized dot (without peanuts) of Mod Podge onto your image, then press the cabochon onto it firmly until the podge has spread to the edges and there are no bubbles.
- Gently flip it over and let it dry. At least mostly dry. Trim the paper if needed, then do a coat of Mod Podge on the back of the paper. This keeps the super glue from leaking through and darkening your image. Again, let it dry.
- Place a dab of very strong glue in the pendant bezel and another on the cabochon. Be careful that you are getting it centered nicely as you place the cabochon into the bezel.
- If there’s glue on the edges, use a little rubbing alcohol on a paper towel to clean the edges and the glass. * Not too much as it will leak into the bezel and mess up your image.
Things to Consider:
- Try not to glue your fingers together! Use nail polish remover to unstuck them if you do.
- Paper that has images printed on both sides will often leak through and muddle your chosen image.
- There are SO MANY styles of pendants to choose from. Buy a big variety pack because you’ll want to do this again!
We hope you enjoy these. Actually, we are 99% sure you will. Please learn more about Amsmoon here and follow us on Instagram.
Have a lovely Eid.