We are so honored to host a guest post for our Ramadan crafts 30-day challenge from Sister Tomomi.
She is sharing how she crafted these STEAM Ramadan geometric lanterns with her kids.
Lanterns are classic of Ramadan decoration.
Here I made lantern so my 5-year-old may learn geometry, how to use a cutter, stained glass designs. I tried to incorporate craft with math: making kids come up with the development for the lantern, making them aware of square cone shapes for the star, introducing how to use a ruler, a pair of compasses, etc.
What you need:
- Thicker craft paper/ construction paper (gold silver or any color)
- Tracing paper
- string Glue
- Mag-folder (to learn the development of shape)
- single-hole puncher
1. Show kids lantern image and let them come up with the development using Mag-folder.
2. Fold the craft paper in four leaving 1cm margin for gluing. Instruct how to use compasses to make triangles, that come on top of the rectangular shapes.
3. Draw cut out design on the craft paper. Instruct how to use a cutter or how to cut out with scissors.
4. Color on trace paper with markers, so the color shows through the cut outs.
5. Attach colored trace paper on cut-out craft paper.
6.Cut around the triangular shapes on top. Punch holes on top of the triangles and punch further wherever for design.
7. Glue the side to shape piller. Thread through the 4 holes on top of the triangles to shape the pyramid.
Make more and enjoy!